It's important to write a powerful and captivating subject line to attract your recipients to open your newsletter. Your recipients may receive hundreds of emails daily and the majority of these emails will be disregarded and/or deleted. Most readers will filter out irrelevant and spam messages by analyzing the subject line within seconds. This makes it extremely important to captivate the reader immediately as they are filtering and deleting emails that aren't interesting to them despite there is quality information within the email. Think of the subject line as the bait to catch their attention.
Some tips to writing engaging subject lines:
- Short, sweet and concise. Subject lines should be under 50 characters to keep it clear, concise and straight to the point.
- Attract your audience with incentive language give them a reason to open your newsletter.
- Communicate urgency will help compel readers to click and act fast. Creating scarcity can be very effective when done correctly and creativity, but try to limit these types of subject lines.
- Create curiosity without giving too much away. Providing an educational, informative subject line that asks a question is a great way to provoke curiosity.
- Build trust, your subject line should be consistent with the content within your newsletter, this will help you receive consistently high open rates as recipients will begin to believe and even look forward to your emails.
Lastly, always test the strength of your subject line. There are a number of great free tools online that provide a numerical score out of 100. And of course, don't forget to take a look at your reports to monitor your open rate. As a reference, the industry average for financial newsletter open rate is 20.97% - knowing this will help you compare against the industry benchmark.